Monday, December 12, 2011

Shari Lewis: Lamb Chop's Nutcracker Suite

One of the great joys of childhood was Shari Lewis. She appealed to kids with good, wholesome, somewhat educational entertainment that was actually funny. I absolutely loved Lamb Chop's Play Along and was so sad when I heard she died in 1998.

Lamb Chop was a puppet of a ewe lamb who would often be Shari's foil. However, despite Lamp Chop's silliness, she was an endearing character and no matter how exasperated Shari could get at Lamb Chop, they'd always be friends.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered they'd made an audio cassette of The Nutcracker!

Well, the tape opens with a "ho ho ho," and Lamb Chop cheering, "It's Santa Claus!" But as it continues, it appears Shari has just had to bring Lamb Chop inside as the poor lamb has a cold. Sadly, this means they can't attend a performance of The Nutcracker ballet.

Lamb Chop is unfamiliar with ballet and The Nutcracker, so Shari explains how ballet can tell a story with dance and music, while she decides to tell the story of The Nutcracker herself.
 Shari tells the standard story of the ballet, highlighted by songs with original lyrics based on Tchaikovsky's score. These songs work really well, actually. The overture becomes Mr. Stahlbaum's greeting of the guests. The playful march theme becomes a song for Fritz as he and other boys play soldiers. The mice are represented with the Coffee theme (Shari notes the change later), and a few selections of the later score are sung, one of the most humorous being the Chinese dance, which concludes with "Please, oh, please bring us Chinese!"

Shari's Nutcracker concludes with a dance between Clara and the Prince, and he asks her to marry him, but she must refuse as she is only six years old as Shari explains. (In Hoffman's original book, Marie had just turned seven, so Shari isn't too far off.) However, the memories of that night, Shari assures us, Clara will treasure forever.

The tape concludes with pieces of the famous score without lyrics this time.

Many parents have recommended Shari's tape (later re-released as CD) as a great way to introduce children to ballet and The Nutcracker story, and I suppose that's true. Lamb Chop's quips and remarks make this enjoyable for all ages as well. ("Do you know why parents take their children to see The Nutcracker?" "Freddy Kruger isn't in it?") However, copies of this one seem to go for high prices nowadays, so if you want to check it out, you might have to look hard for a good deal or prepare to spend a bit of money.

30 comments:

Christopher said...

I would love to have the words that Lambchop sings.

Christopher said...

I would love to have a copy of the words Lamb Chops Sings.

englishcountrymouse said...

Hi!:) Since I've been listening to this every year for almost 30 years for Christmas, and it is impossible to purchase anymore, I just took my old copy of this and made it into a digital file so that I could share it with friends and family:) I know that this is totally random but if you or if anyone wants a free digital file of this just respond to this comment and I'm happy to send it to you so that you can spread the joy to friends and family as well:) you could also email me at megsylove at gmail :) It's such a great CD:)

onetiredmama said...

@englishcountrymouse, I can't figure out how to respond to your comment but OMG please could you share your copy? I can't find a copy and youtube is missing part 3 out of the 4 parts that are on there. I have listened to this since I was a child and now my daughter is obsessed with it but hasn't heard the whole thing because like I said, part 3 isn't on youtube. I would be forever grateful! Maybe you could upload the whole thing to youtube? That would be amazing. <3

Pthibault1984 said...

I would love a copy!! Merry Christmas

Pthibault1984 said...

I would love a copy!! Merry Christmas

Nathan Dickey said...

Wow my wife would love this if you are still handing it out!

Anonymous said...

Hello.
On the off chance anyone sees this from the post, does anyone have that digital copy?
If so please email it to mpweick @ gmail.com and I will be eternally grateful!!

Nathan Dickey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I’m also trying to get this file. Can anyone send it?
LauraSanchesDesign at yahoo.com

Nathan Dickey said...

I sent you a link my email, hope it works :)

-Nathan

Unknown said...

I would love to get a digital copy of this to share with my grandchildren… it would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous said...

My email address is jmeacp5@msn.com

Quickns55 said...

I lost my cassett copy and was so sad. I listened to it for years and became a child again each time. At 71 now, it would be such a joy to hear again and share with my great-nieces!

Nathan Dickey said...

Let me know your email and I will send it to you

Anonymous said...

I would absolutely love a copy! My email is mjf.listservs@gmail.com. Any chance you could share with me as well? Thank you so much, and happy holidays!!

Anonymous said...

Nathan could I have a copy as well?? I loved it as a kid… it’s really a genius piece of work.

Anna said...

My email is a.baileys1007@gmail.com!! Thank you so much!

Nathan Dickey said...

Sure can email nathan.dickey@gmail.com and I will send you the link

-Nathan

Anonymous said...

I would love a copy!

Anonymous said...

Yes PLEASE!!

Nathan Dickey said...

Can leave your email or send one to me at the above address and I will send you the link to download :)

Anonymous said...

Just emailed you! I would love a copy.

Anonymous said...

Please send to terrydearden@verizon.net - my kids grew up with this every year!!!

Anonymous said...

Any chance I could get a copy??!!! Sweets_stuff4@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

sweets_stuff4@hotmail.com

Lokesh said...

I'd also love a copy! My partner has fond memories of it and I'm hoping to surprise her.

If anyone with a copy could share, it would be greatly appreciated!

lokesh.dhakar [at] gmail.com

πŸ‘

Lokesh said...

To make things more discoverable for others I've put the suite up on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twM73XqiX-Q

A couple of the music-only segments near the end had to be trimmed for copyright reasons, but all the banter is there.

Anonymous said...

Could someone send me the digital file please? brianna(dot)leckbee(at)gmail.com Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE the digital file of this! Could someone send me a copy?? agboyd22@gmail.com