Saturday, May 9, 2009

Taco and Chili recipes ... my way

Unlike your stereotypical bachelor, I actually cook. Here's a couple recipes I've done.

TACOS
~1 lb. ground turkey (or beef, I prefer turkey because it's leaner and the flavor of the seasoning is more noticeable)
~1 packet taco seasoning
~Toasted taco shells (or, if you're just doing taco salad, you can use tortilla chips)
~1 can diced tomatoes and chiles (the spicier, the better)
~Salsa
~Shredded cheese
~Shredded lettuce (I often go without this, as I tend not to buy fresh vegetables, since they spoil before I use them)


Brown the ground turkey with the tomatoes and chiles. Drain the mixture when it's done cooking, and stir in the taco seasoning. Melt in the cheese.

And... that's all there really is to it. Portion the mixture in the taco shells and top with lettuce, and add salsa if you want it.

For taco salad, crush the shells in a bowl or plate, or use tortilla chips.

Chili
~1 lb. ground turkey
~2 cans of red kidney beans or Mexican beans
~Chili seasoning, at least four tablespoons, more or less to taste
~1/3 cup of preserved jalapenos or fresh, sliced jalapenos
~1 can of diced tomatoes and chili


TRADITIONAL STYLE
I have two variants for cooking the ground turkey. One is to put the uncooked meat in a crock pot with all other ingredients and enough water to make sure it doesn't burn and let it cook and and stew with the other ingredients. This should only be done if the chili is being made a couple days ahead of time, so no bacteria from the meat survives. The other is to brown the meat conventionally, and then putting all the ingredients in a crock pot.

BAKED?
Yeah... You see, I'm fond of having my chili Frito-pie style, so I came up with baking it so the chili wouldn't make the corn chips soggy. What you do is mix all ingredients in a baking pan (you can do the uncooked ground turkey variation here, but it needs to be thawed), and baking it at 400 degrees for two hours, stirring it occasionally, so the beans don't burn. Make sure the beans and meat are fully cooked to avoid... gastrovascular disasters. :D

No comments: