Monday, August 20, 2012

Out at Work

I didn't make a big deal about my sexual orientation at work. I figured that this does not affect the job I do, so what's the issue?

However, it did come up a couple times. I was "out" to the current managers, but they left and were replaced, so it was like starting back at square one. With a high turnover, the point of being open with all your coworkers seems insignificant.

However, July 21st this year, I wound up getting a ride home from a coworker, who was also taking another coworker home so we wouldn't have to take the bus. The driver was Amanda, and the other coworker was Amy.

While we were driving, we were discussing things and I happened to mention that I lived with my brother in a small apartment, when this exchange took place:

Amy: "So, are you trying to move out from your brother's place or are you waiting to find Mrs. Right and start a family?"
Amanda: "Jared, married?"
Me: "Uhhh... no..."
Amanda: "Yeah, I couldn't see Jared with a bunch of little Jareds running around anyway."
Amy: "He's probably married to his video game, or Facebook, or his books."
Amanda: "Which one is it?"
Me: "None."
Amy: "It's your books! You're always reading."
Me: "It helps my brain grow."
Amy: "Admit it, you're married to your books!"
Me: "Okay, girls, you put me on the spot. I'm gay!"
Amanda: "WHAT?"
Amy: "Seriously?"
Me: "Yep."
Amanda: "ARE YOU FOR REAL? I'M DRIVING AND ALL I CAN SEE IS YOUR SHIT-EATING GRIN IN THE REAR VIEW MIRROR AND I CAN'T TELL IF YOU'RE BULLSHITTIN'!"
Amy: "I'll see. Jared, are you gay?"
Me: "Yes!"
Amy: "Yep, he's telling the truth, and he's comfortable with it."
Amanda: "Help me keep on the road, Amy! Wow! I guess you never know somebody!"

So, that was it. I told two people at work.

However, this also happened to be the last day I'd work for a bit. I was leaving for the Winkie Convention and they'd given me eleven days off in a row. I enjoyed them, came back, and it was business as usual.

Today, however, one of my coworkers was telling me how he'd be working with an almost 50 coworker, and when I said "Be nice to her," he joked that I was in love with her. I said there were a few reasons why I wouldn't be after her.

I later told Amy what he'd said, when he walked up and said, "I know everything."

"So you know I'm gay?" I asked.

"Yes," he replied.

Amy explained that Amanda had told everyone while I was gone. She'd told her to stop, but everyone knew, and no one was really bugged by it! In fact, by the time I got back, it was already old news and no one even asked me about it.

I'm not mad at Amanda at all. I'm amused by the turn of events, really.

Shortly before I left work today, the manager said something about her being dumb, and I commented, "Oh, come on, you're not dumb."

She smiled and said, "I wish I could have ten of you, Jared!"

I looked at my coworker and asked, "She knows I'm gay, right?"

He joked, "I don't think so..."

Guess I'm also "gay friend" material...

No comments: