Saturday, May 5, 2012

What do you want to be when you grow up?

When I was a kid, I wanted to be an artist.

When I was a teenager, I wanted to do comics.

Now I'm a writer.

There are times I wish I'd continued with doing art. Occasionally, I get the idea of a picture I'd like to draw, but my ability falls short of it.

People who follow my Oz blog know I recently published a book called Outsiders from Oz. I'm glad to prove I can actually come up with a book-length plot and keep it going, but to be honest, I think my best works are yet to be written. Oz is fun to work with, but it's not my world.

My friend Jami and I are currently working on a Gary Stu-like series of webcomic strips called Jami and Jay. Jami is based on Jami, and Jay is based on me. I had the idea that a sitcom could be derived from my Twitter correspondence with Jami, and we turned it into a webcomic concept.

Instead of being friends via Twitter, Jami and Jay live together in an apartment having funny conversations, geeking out, and living life. We've conceived a story arc for the series, which I advised not to try to make indefinite. Still, as much fun as it is working on this, I don't consider it my best. Even though Jay is based on me, he's a very fictionalized version. (He isn't the biggest fan of puppies.) And really, I came up with Jay's story, which has him doing something I've never done.

Still, I know I can do better than this.

No comments: